The Canadian Geotechnical Society, Quebec division - Cold region section
The Cold Regions Geotechnology Division (CRGD) of the CGS continues to move forward with initiatives aimed at increasing the visibility of the division. It is our mandate to promote and facilitate the advancement, exchange and transfer of knowledge, skills and experience in the field of Cold Regions Geotechnology for the benefit of division members and the profession.
Extract taken from the CGS website
Canadian National Committee - International Permafrost
The CNC-IPA is Canada’s official adhering body to the International Permafrost Association (IPA), and is jointly sponsored by the Geological Survey of Canada of Natural Resources Canada and the National Research Council of Canada.
Extract taken from Spring 2000 CNC-IPA Newsletter.
Canadian Permafrost Association
The Canadian Permafrost Association was founded in 2018 to bring together academics, practitioners, policy-makers, communities and indigenous organizations to help understand and address challenges, such as:
Extract taken from the CPA website
- rising costs of infrastructure construction and maintenance on permafrost;
- impacts of changing permafrost on ecosystems and food security;
- development of landslides and other hazards on thawing permafrost;
- release of greenhouse gases to the atmosphere as organic matter decomposes following permafrost thaw;
- stability of housing constructed on permafrost;
- changes in water quantity and quality relating to permafrost;
- sustainable resource development in permafrost area.
American Society of Civil Engineers
The American Society of Civil Engineers represents more than 150,000 members of the civil engineering profession in 177 countries. Founded in 1852, ASCE is the nation’s oldest engineering society.
ASCE stands at the forefront of a profession that plans, designs, constructs, and operates society’s economic and social engine – the built environment – while protecting and restoring the natural environment.
Extract taken from the ASCE website